Monday, April 19, 2010

MUSIC GODDAMN IT

I bring forth two pieces of work I acquired over the weekend in celebration of record store day (aka we invented this holiday so you spend your goddamn money on us day). Here they are:

TOXIC HOLOCAUST - GRAVELORD (Single)

I had heard of this band many a time before, but I never took the time to check them out. When I saw this nice package for six bucks, I decided now was the time to finally look into them. I was not disappointed.

What we get here are three tracks: Gravelord, off their 2008 album An Overdose of Death, as well as two previously unreleased tracks, 666 and Suicide Eye. The result is just under six minutes of satanic sack kicking thrash sure to get your head banging from beginning to end.





A Storm of Light & Nadja [split] - Primitive North


At first, I wasn't sure what to make of this. A Storm of Light struck me as being a bad Neurosis rip off, but given that guitarist/vocalist/visionary behind this outfit, Josh Graham, spends some of his time working on the visual end of Neurosis' live act and album art, it is probably better said that this is an extension of the collective mind that is Neurosis. Their contributions to this split, the tracks Brother and Sister, exemplify this through the slow, crushing riffs and dark ambiance that alternate from one to the other over the course of side one.
Nadja, on the other hand, is a two piece set hailing from Canada, delivering an epic 20+ minute trance inducing drone composition titled, I Make From Your Eyes the Sun. I found myself liking this more than I first realized. The fusion of repetitive riffing and plenty of electronic textures has made it a stimulating track I can put on while getting lost in my studies.
The place where this record really shines in on the two remixes each band did. Nadja remixes Brother and ASOL does I Make From Your Eyes... The latter is in my opinion, the best track of them all. Pack a few bowls this 4/20 and see where this sucker takes you.

Toxic Holocaust: http://www.mediafire.com/?n2fjnyjvtnl
ASOL/Nadja: http://www.mediafire.com/?3momzoyhzgm

No comments:

Post a Comment